Updating over Wi-Fi can sometimes be problematic when there are quick drops in internet connection. You may think the internet connection is solid because you can use internet applications and other devices do not have issues. You can still have minor drops in connection that are not noticeable when performing other activities such as streaming.
Our software download process requires a consistent internet connection throughout the entire download process, one small drop and it will cause the update to fail and prompt you to retry. Sometimes you can try multiple times and eventually have it completely download the update but sometimes you will need to update the software using another method. Please see the alternative methods listed below.
1. Using a long Ethernet cord, temporarily connect your DVR+ directly to your Modem/router and go to Menu>Settings>Technical Info>Software update and check for the download. If there is a newer version available it will prompt you to install, select confirm to proceed and your update should download without issues.
Please Note: If a new software update is not available the DVR+ will inform you that it is currently up to date and it will not perform a download. To confirm you are on the correct software update, visit this link http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/en-us/articles/200488325-DVR-Software-Update and compare the current software version with what is listed in your device under Menu>Settings>Technical Info>STB Health.
2. If you do not have an Ethernet cable or step one is not an option for you, please try updating by the USB Method. To install a new version of software using the USB method follow the steps listed below.
1. You will need a USB Flash drive that does not have anything saved on it.
2. Visit http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/en-us/articles/200488325-DVR-Software-Update and download the current version of software to your computer.
3. Copy the file from your computer to the blank USB flash drive. Make sure that you do not rename the file and that the file is not in a folder.
4. While the DVR+ is powered on, insert the USB drive into one of the available USB ports. Wait a few seconds and the DVR+ will auto-recognize the memory stick and the update then will prompt you to start the update. Confirm to install and the DVR+ will compete the software update. After the update has completed we recommend performing a factory reset by going to Menu>Settings>Factory Reset. This will start your DVR+ all over again and you will need to go through the set-up wizard and re-setup your scheduled recordings.
5. In the event that the USB download process fails, contact Channel Master and we can walk you through a forced update.